Easy Roasted Turkey
This is so easy your kids can help you prepare the Thanksgiving Day Turkey and really learn something new in the process. Heck, you might learn something too! After all, Thanksgiving is time to have fun and enjoy family and friends. Don't miss an opportunity to do both, because "at the end of the day", that is all that really counts!
This fabulous Turkey Day Recipe is both quick and easy. Let's start by collecting the following ingredients:
12 pounds whole turkey
2 cups water
3 tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon paprika
Onions, garlic, celery undedicated for other uses
A key ingredient in this marinade is the mustard. Dusseldorf mustard is a German cracked, or grainy, mustard. Other grainy mustards may be substituted, or make up a batch of Course Ground Mustard (page 36).
- Prepare your outdoor grill or smoker for indirect medium heat,
- While the grill is heating up, rinse the turkey, and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a large roasting pan, mix together the water, bouillon powder, garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning, parsley, and paprika.
- With the turkey over the roasting pan, coat generously with the mixture with the pan catching the overflow.
- With the turkey breast-side down on a roasting rack other other platform which will keep the meat out of the juices cook upside down for about 2/3rds of the cooking time. Baste every 30 minutes. The last 1/3rd rotate the breast side up and continue basting.
- Cook until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 160° F. Remove turkey from grill and let stand 15 to 30 minutes before carving.